Required Travel Document and Information

All facts stated below apply at the time of embarkation.

  • Infants must be at least six months of age at time of sailing.
  • A minor is defined as an individual under 18 years of age at the time of embarkation.
  • A young adult is defined as an individual between the ages of 18 and 20.


For passengers under the age of 18 traveling with an accompanying adult, who is not the minor’s parent or legal guardian, require a parent/guardian consent release form that authorizes the minor’s travel and must be delivered to a Bahamas Express representative at the pier during check-in. Failure to produce this letter at embarkation may result in boarding being denied, with no refund of cruise fare provided.


General Documentation and Visa Information


U.S. Citizens


Caribbean, Bahamas, Bermuda, Alaska, Mexican Riviera, Or Canada & New England Cruises

For round-trip sailings (cruises that depart from and return to the same U.S. port), you may sail with either a valid passport, proof of citizenship and a valid government-issued photo I.D. (driver’s license with a photo), or any other WHTI compliant document.

Proof of Citizenship examples include:

  • State certified U.S. birth certificate
  • Original certificate of U.S. naturalization
  • Original certificate of U.S. citizenship


Baptismal paper, hospital certificates of birth, and Puerto Rico birth certificates issued prior to 7/1/10 are not acceptable.

A U.S. citizen under the age of 16 do not require a government-issued photo ID.

Note: If you miss your ship at its scheduled U.S. departure port and need to travel outside the U.S. to meet your ship, or should you unexpectedly need to depart the ship from a foreign port prior to the end of sailing, a passport would be required to leave or re-enter the U.S. by air. To that end, Bahamas Express strongly recommends all guests to obtain a passport for their voyage on Bahamas Express.


Documentation Resources

To obtain an original or state certified copy of a birth certificate, you can contact your hospital of birth or the Vital Statistics Department of the County where you were born.

For more information on obtaining a passport, please visit: //, or Visa Central at //

Every state issues identification cards, usually from the state’s Department of Motor Vehicles. As an example, to obtain a Florida identification card you could visit: // to find out more information.


Non-U.S. Citizens


All Itineraries

All guests must carry a valid passport, and if necessary, a multiple entry visa is required for entry into the United States (i.e. B-2 Visitors Visa), or a visa waiver. Please be sure to check with the proper agencies and authorities (such as your local immigration office) before you sail because we can’t board you without the proper documents. Travelers from the 37 Visa Waiver Program (VWP) countries must have a machine-readable passport to enter the U.S. without a visa. All VWP travelers are required to obtain an electronic travel authorization prior to boarding a carrier to travel by air or sea to the U.S. under the VWP.

Alien Residents of the United States holding an Alien Registration Card (ARC or “Green Card”) (Form I-551) may travel to Canada, Mexico, Bermuda (see Visa Restrictions on Bermuda) and the Caribbean with just their valid ARC and Proof of Identity. However, it is recommended that these guests also carry their passports from their country of citizenship if available. In some instances, ARC holders may still be required to have sailing permits and/or visas to enter countries Norwegian Cruise Line visits in these areas. Please note that travel anywhere else in the world requires a valid passport from the country you are a citizen of and subsequently subjects you to any documentation, visa and health requirements of all countries visited.


Canadian Residency Permit (CRP) holders who are NOT in possession of their permanent resident papers, or a valid Temporary Resident Visa, will be denied boarding if the vessel calls at any Canadian port during the cruise. Otherwise the Canadian resident can be refused re-entry into Canada without their proper resident documentation.


Electronic Travel Authorization

All Visa Waiver Program (VWP) travelers will be required to obtain an electronic travel authorization prior to boarding a carrier to travel by air or sea to enter the U.S. under the VWP. Travelers, travel agents, or carriers must use the Department of Homeland Security’s (DHS) secure website at // and complete an on-line application. Applications may be submitted at any time prior to travel, however, DHS recommends that applications be submitted no less than 72 hours prior to travel. In most cases you will receive a response within seconds:

  • Authorization Approved
  • Travel Not Authorized: Traveler must obtain a nonimmigrant visa at a U.S. Embassy or Consulate before traveling to the U.S.
  • Authorization Pending: Traveler will need to check the ESTA website for updates within 72 hours to receive a final response.


NOTE: An approved travel authorization will be:

  • Required for all VWP travelers prior to boarding a carrier to travel by air or sea to enter the U.S. under the VWP;
  • Valid, unless revoked, for up to two years or until the traveler’s passport expires, whichever comes first;
  • Valid for multiple entries; and Not a guarantee of admissibility to the United States at a port of entry.


Visa Requirements

Schengen States: Austria, Belgium, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Slovak Republic, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, and Switzerland. The Schengen Agreement came into force on 26th March 1995. It is an agreement between several member states of the European Union (EU), to remove immigration controls for travel within their collective territories. This creates a “borderless” region, known as the “Schengen Area” and therefore changes the procedures for entering or connecting in all of the Schengen States as well as for traveling between them. There are four types of Schengen visas, but type C is the one typically needed by passengers, which can be issued by any one of the Schengen states and is valid for all the others. Due to the type of itineraries in Europe, Scandinavia, and the Mediterranean, passengers who require Schengen visas must obtain a multiple-entry type visa prior to traveling. U.S. and Canadian citizens do not require a Schengen visa.


The Schengen Agreement that governs the European Union (EU) member states indicates that certain nationalities require a visa to enter the EU zone. Guests who are not US, Canadian, or European nationals are strongly encouraged to contact the nearest EU-member country embassy to determine if a Schengen visa is necessary.


Visa Restrictions for Canada

Due to strict Canadian entry requirements, immigration officials have advised that citizens from certain countries require a valid Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) in order to visit or transit Canada. Passengers who are not U.S. or Canadian citizens should check the following web site for a listing of restricted nationalities to determine if a TRV is necessary: // Subsequently, passengers belonging to nationalities that require a visa will be denied boarding if they do not possess such a visa. Exceptions will be made for U.S. Alien Resident Card (ARC) and Canadian Residency Permit (CRP) holders.


Pregnancy Policy

Guest who are 24 weeks or more into their pregnancy on the date of their embarkation will not be allowed to sail . Pregnant women less than 24 weeks must submit, prior to departure, a letter from their attending physician certifying the gestational period and that the expecting mother is fit to sail.

This website uses cookies and asks your personal data to enhance your browsing experience.